Heritage Foundation Chapters | Regional Bicentennial Commissions
Southwest Montana Lewis & Clark
Present: Mike McGinley, Katie Bump, Judy Siring, Wally Madsen, Kit Mather, Cameron Clark, Deb Bradley, JoAnne Juliano, and Scott Mendenhall.
Bicentennial Committee Meeting Minutes
1:15 p.m. Twin Bridges, Montana
December 11, 2001
The meeting was called to order by Chair Mike McGinley at 1:16 p.m. at the Deb Bradley's home near Twin Bridges. Minutes of the previous meeting were approved as sent.
1. Passport. Deb distributed an unsigned agreement with the Dillon Tribune for publishing the 2002 Passport. Discussion on the pro's and con's of pursuing alternative printing options. Concerns were expressed about the need for the publisher to perform on all aspects of the contract including deadlines and including the committee's oversight. Mike agreed to visit with the Tribune by 12/13 to obtain a definite "yes" or "no" decision. Committee agreed to add a clause to the agreement that would reference an attached advertisement agreement to be used with businesses. This would make the Tribune's ability to collect on advertisement contingent on their performing on the contract including exact deadlines. Kit expressed interest in designing a cover for the Passport.
1. Election of Officers. Mike resigned as Chair and introduced Judy Sering as the designated Beaverhead County representative to the committee. Scott nominated Cameron as Chair; he was elected by unanimous vote. Mike nominated Judy as V.P.; she was elected by unanimous vote.
2. Lewis & Clark Grants. Group discussed the projects that are applying for the current round of Commission grants: a. Beaverhead County-Diorama Project; b. Jefferson County-Jefferson Valley Presents Project; c. Madison County-Marketable Bronze project and d. Headwaters is applying for the Regional Committee's administrative grant. Scott moved, Judy seconded a motion to support all three county projects; motion carried. Judy moved, JoAnne seconded a motion to apply for the Administration grant monies; motion carried.
3. State meeting in Dillon. Judy updated the group on the coming State Commission meeting on Feb 11-12th noting that the primary activities will be on the 11th beginning at 10:00 a.m. She's working with Clint Blackwood on the agenda and will keep the committee informed. She mentioned there would be table space available for promoting southwestern MT L & C events and attractions. Katy introduced a USFS video shot on the Expedition's journey through the three county area; group viewed and expressed great approval of the video.
4. Community and Agency Reports
a. USFS-Katy mentioned that they can provide excellent in-kind resources such as the film production but aren't a likely granting agency (directly). She mentioned that she receives lots of information on granting sources and would get them out to the committee as they arrive.
b. Corps II. Discussion on the timing of this traveling show and when a pre-tour would be coming through the area. It was agreed to dedicate the January meeting to a work session lead by Katy to identify the schedule, events etc. to work on for the Corps II project.
c. Goldwest Country. Judy shared a draft of the coming 2001 travel planner guide. There will be a special Lewis & Clark section. They are ready to print and will be available in January.
d. Whitehall I-90 Sign project. Scott and Kit reported on an interstate "Welcome to Whitehall" billboard designed by Kit with a L & C theme and featuring the murals. Kit presented her draft of the sign.
The next meeting was set for January 11th at 10:00 a.m. at the Blue Anchor restaurant in Twin Bridges. Deb will make reservation arrangements for this. The meeting will include lunch.
Meeting was adjourned at 3:00.
Scott Mendenhall on behalf of the conspicuously absent Judie Tilman!
Back to SW Montana Commission Meeting Minutes Menu
Welcome | What's New | Commission Overview | Resource Library
Chapter & RBC Info | Endorsement Info | Education | Funding
Montana Events | Help/Sitemap | Related Links
Feedback Form | Email This Page
For more information please contact:
Montana Historical Society
P.O. Box 201201
225 North Roberts
Helena, MT 59620-1201
Hosting donated by Tempest Technologies, LLC
Visit Virtual Montana to plan your Montana Vacation!