Heritage Foundation Chapters | Regional Bicentennial Commissions
Upper Missouri Lewis & Clark Bicentennial Commission Meeting Minutes
A Great Falls corridor signage meeting started at 6:00 p.m.
Civic Center, Great Falls, Montana
August 25, 2003
The Regular meeting called to order by Chairman Kubick at 7:00 p.m.
Members present: Kubick, Stensland, Goldhahn, Fisher, Parchen. Absent: Shield, Roehn, Doerk, England. Others present: Sepich, Bourne and Harry Mitchell.
The meeting adjourned at 8:07 p.m.
- Minutes. Motion made by Stensland, seconded by Goldhahn to approve the minutes from the June 23, 2003 meting. Approved 5-0.
Note: no meeting was held in July 2003.
- Treasurer’s Report. Treasurer England was absent so there is no report. Kubick reported that we received $1,000 from Chouteau County.
- Status Report
- National: Bourne provided new brochures from National. Stensland asked about final schedule on Corps II. Kubic said schedule is not completed at this time. Bourne reported that it has been moved around, working out details of operation, set-up, tear-down. Modifications are being made.
- State: State meeting is October 2 & 3 in Lewistown, Yogo Inn.
- Explore! the Big Sky: Bourne reoprted the web site is up. Signature Event logo merchandise is available. Working on design of a lapel pin and patches. We will have brochures available in Louisville. Currently working on funding strategy for the event -- total cost $2.5-3 million. Have 167 separate activities planned at this time. Working on town meeting because volunteers are losing interest and the need to create general awareness -- first meeting on September 25 in Great Falls and September 29 in Fort Benton.
Sepich brought up concerns with Corp II. This commission has agreed to host Corp II. Currently it is scheduled to be at MSU College of Technology in the back parking lot. There have been discussions in the Events Committee to leave it in Fort Benton for the whole time. Signature Events have concern with how it is going to be programmed. Parchen suggested that the Chouteau County Committee discuss the issue and report back. Bourne reported BLM will staff and program Corp II and that we need to find something for the St. Charles group to do. St. Charles group could assist with programming Corp II. Bourne is concerned that when activities are over in the Fort Benton area will visitors continue to visit. If Corp II remains there, there would be an attraction.
- Old Business
- Kubick recommended having the September 22nd meeting in Fort Benton. our October meeting, with the governing Commissions, will then be held in Great Falls.
- RV Parking request. Kubick reported that England agreed to secure a list of available RV spaces. Bourne reported that there is a lack of spaces, need to make arrangements with owners of large lots to secure additional spaces. She mentioned the other concern is the need to identify these locations so emergency response can be handled. It is also important to identify RV “dump” locations.
- New Business
- Kubick informed Commission of meeting with Reaching the Rockies Chapter on September 14 at 2:00 p.m. in Ulm.
- Kubick reported Roehm has health problems and is considering resigning. Kubick recommended that he wait to see if his health improves.
- Kubick received an invitation to attend a presentation of the film, "Native Waters: Sharing the Source," on September 11 in Browning.
- Kubick received information on recognizing volunteers at the State meeting. Members are to contact Kubick with recommendations for volunteers to be recognized.
- Communications: Members were mailed or e-mailed the communications noted on the meeting agenda.
- Parchen reported that he, Lepley and Doerk attended the Browning Blackfoot conference. Stensland and Parchen discussed that they are not working with the Tribal Council on the Fur Trade Symposium; they are working with individual tribal members.
- At this time, Kubick, Stensland, England and Fisher plan to attend MT L&C Bicentennial Commission's Fall Conference in Lewistown. Other commission not present may attend.
Next meeting: September 22, Ag Museum, Fort Benton.
Back to Upper Missouri Commission Meeting Minutes Menu
Welcome | What's New | Commission Overview | Resource Library
Chapter & RBC Info | Endorsement Info | Education | Funding
Montana Events | Help/Sitemap | Related Links
Feedback Form | Email This Page
For more information please contact:
Montana Historical Society
P.O. Box 201201
225 North Roberts
Helena, MT 59620-1201
Hosting donated by Tempest Technologies, LLC
Visit Virtual Montana to plan your Montana Vacation!